Saturday, 8 August 2015

Exploring ways to teach about origins of the world and religion vs science

We are going to start the year by looking at Christian responses to scientific theories (OCR) in Year 11, and I was facing a dilemma about how to teach it, allowing the students to explore creatively the biblical account in Genesis (origin of the universe and origin of humanity) and to draw on the Big Bang Theory and the theory of Evolution. 

Our students are good investigators and they seek information well. I saw an idea (the quadram) on Pinterest (I saw it about mathematical equations) and thought instantly how well students would be able to use it to pull all the ideas together on this theme. So this morning, I've used solely the text book that I've inherited at school (Perspectives on World Religion: Christianity - OCR) as the source for the information and the NIV and have created my own quadram to represent these ideas. 


I think our Year 11 students will be able to explore and pull these ideas together in groups and then they can use the information to pull responses together which practise both parts d and e of the exam. For this particular piece, we will use the 2012 past paper and the students will answer the questions below:


I think they will find it interesting to explore and then hopefully we will pull some good responses from it. I've tried to create an answer using ideas PURELY presented on the quadram, and I'm certain it is doable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment